Tuesday, June 21, 2011

USA - Graceland, Graceland, Memphis, Tennesse

I've been to Graceland - yeh - the dream of every Elvis fan. Nobody else was excited about the idea but I made up for it. Words do not describe the feeling of driving through those music gates and up to the front door of a major icon - something I have seen on TV and in movies for years, and to finally be there in person was overwhelming. I spent most of the day crying and absorbing it all, much to the amusement of everyone else who really couldn't see what all the fuss was about. It was just an ordinary house compared to today's mansions but it certainly would have been the best around way back then.

Graceland (http://www.graceland.com/ ) lets you do a self guided tour with an audio guide that gives you information at each exhibit or for each room, I wanted to stay and read everything and watch everything but the kids and Lyndon were moving through way to fast. I kind of wish I was able to have done it by myself at my own pace just to ensure I didn't miss a thing. The rooms in Graceland have not been changed since Elvis lived there so it was really weird walking through his home, knowing that he had walked around there also.

We went back to the hotel after lunch to collect my wedding bouquet of roses from Vegas, to take back up to Graceland so I could put them on Elvis' grave, that was a great way to end our visit to Graceland. I bought up big on souvenirs to take home and to give to friends but it wasn't enough - I wish I had got more.




The first thing we saw when we hit Elvis Presley Boulevard


Through the gates and up to the mansion .




The family room with grand piano. The pool room had matching fabric everywhere, on the sofa, walls and roof.


The Jungle room, where many jam sessions were held. The media room, and the 3 TV's on 24/7 including the one Elvis blew out with a shot gun one night he was angry.


Memorabilia was broken up into the different recording years of his life. The entire barn and stables have been turned into the Record room. Just rows and rows of platinum and gold records.



Inside the converted racquet ball court were more record covers, gold records, concert outfits and other personel items belonging to Elvis. This complex also housed the bathroom where Elvis died, just shortly after having a jam session with his band. Needless to say I cried a lot in this room.



Just outside is the meditation garden and wishing fountain, which is home to the graves of the Presley's'. Elvis' aunt, mother, infant twin brother, dad and the King himself are all resting here. I was happy to place my wedding flowers on his grave and it was a lovely way to end our pilgrimage.


R.I.P The King, blessed with my flowers.



Elvis loved his toys, there were 20 odd cars on display in the car museum. Emily and I are in front of the pink Cadillac that he bought his mother Gladys at the beginning of his career


A visit to Graceland would be incomplete without having an Elvis Slurpee cup and the famous deep fried banana and peanut butter sandwich - it was actually really good. Then of course is all of the shopping, including my very own Elvis Jailhouse Rock pool cue.

No comments:

Post a Comment