Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Lyndon bunkers down for Cyclone YASI (Cat 5)

After two lots of floods and Cyclone Anthony (Cat3) to the south of us (Mackey) why not have another cyclone during my last week. I was ready in some ways I'd been trying my hardest to gather tinned foods and assorted goodies for Jodie back home in TONGA. And if needed I was prepared to eat them too but due to all the recent natural disasters the shelves looked like back home - Empty!!! The main difference was I didn't have to check used by dates on what little was available. I was one of the very lucky ones and only lost power for a little more than 24hrs. Can't say the same for the rest of town some still had no power when I left a week later.
People did what they could, some more than others.

Hard to pick an eye when they come in this big!!

The view from my room 3hrs before the eye crossed the coast. Sadly there is no sound in a picture but there was plenty on the night. Our hotel was the only one not evacuated but 2/3 of the 20 odd people remaining where defence anyway. I lucked out and awoke to soggy carpet in my lounge.

We were lucky and she crossed after high tide but the following morning brought the storm surge. All streets around the hotel went under.

The dockyard where our boat is being refited was very lucky and had only one trawler fall over and the storm tide did cover the entire yard but not as bad as originally thought. Thankfully.

A walk along the Strand 2 days later showed the real story of the storm surge. I walked this the day before YASI and this was waste height and had vegetation behind it. Could be a while till she all recovers.

Once the roads from down south opened the Energex crews moved in, to restore power. They took over the hotel next to ours and sadly they also took over the only Pub and two restaurants that were open too. It was a long wait for dinner and a beer that night.
PS Our house and Bro Chris fared well in YASI and the mighty shed and pergola erected by Lyndon, still stand!! How happy is he?

No comments:

Post a Comment