Monday, February 18, 2013

Nana Marks' Funeral

My Nana was a wonderful lady who, on the 26th of September, 2012 at 94 years of age, decided enough was enough. She had a stroke in July and was hospital bound since then trying all sorts of therapy to get well. Unfortunately after a fall in the hospital, things went down hill and she did not recover. Nana passed away with her daughter Helen (my mum) and her daughter in law Desley (my aunt) by her side. Nana wasn't into fuss and wanted a quiet but graceful send off and that is exactly what she got. Up until her stroke she was fully independent helping out at the Senior Citizens centre where she always joked about helping the "oldies" (many of them were way younger than her) and she was a devoted member of her church. Having grown up and living her entire life in the same area, many people came to say farewell and send her off with her favourite hymns and bible readings.

This picture of Nana was taken at my wedding to Lyndon in 1999. Yellow roses were her favourites and there was one rose for each member of the family to take home in rememberence.

On one side of the church was my sister Belinda and her family in the first row, followed by my cousins and their families, the other side was packed with friends from Nanas' church.

Giving my speech would have to be the hardest thing I have done so far in my life.

Jodie, Belinda, Ian, Emily, Thomas, Lucais and Dylan after the service.

My mum Helen, with some of the people she knew from school and who she had not seen in many, many years.

All of Nana's great grand children, (except one, who is only 2 and didn't come to the funeral)

Heidi (married to my cousin Danny), Mum, Me, Belinda, Aunty Desley and cousin Lisa

Nana's son, my Uncle Dennis (far right) with some friends and my cousins Danny and Murray

The boys before heading to the bowls club for a quiet, reflective drink.

The grand kids playing at Nanas house for the last time

No comments:

Post a Comment