Friday, November 11, 2011

Melbourne Cup 2011

Well another day at the races done and dusted, although without the real thing running past every 45 minutes, or continous coverage on the TV throughout the day, it is hard to get hugely excited. Again, the mens only, Nuku'alofa Club, was open to women for the Calcutta on the Monday night and for the race on Tuesday. Keeping last years bad luck streak alive, I got the horse "Shamrocker" for the tidy sum of $350 (much better than last years outlay of $800), me, myslef and I in the syndicate called "Just Jodie". Should have named it Shamshocker because I think it is still running!

With prizes for all sorts of outfits the competition was stiff, and everyone had a great day. We finished up about 8.30pm (after a 2pm start) so we could collect the kids and head to bed for a much needed recovery sleep. Unfortunately no winnings for me in any of the sweeps or my TAB bets in Oz (thanks anyway, bro Chris). Better luck next year - that's what I always say.


Just Jodie and the Shamrocker
Best hat contenders, a flower, a pink wig, a bonnet, and a horse hair hat (all the way from China)


Happy ladies day, Jenny, Jodie, Rochelle, Karen, Maree and Kobi


"A Fine Design" that is what we called our fasinators, which the fabulous Rochelle whipped up a few days before to match our outfits.



Rochelle and the wonderfully dressed Sal. Jungle was his theme this year.


Most unusual hat winner, an ice cream sundae


Most unusual male - Alo in his Japanese Kimono


Lucky for us duty driver Hannah had NZ007 ready to collect the kids for a drive by to check out all of us parents, as they had not seen us dressed up


No such thing as over loading in Tonga, lucky this IS a 10 kid car


Role reversal is not uncommon in Tonga, Eliza and male friend switch outfits



I had an offer of two dates for the day (Lyndon was in Cairns for work), both lovely men also dressed in purple, oh my, spoiled for choice. First up was non rugby John. (Thanks for the loan A.A.)


Next up was Tom, looking very daper indeed!



Judy, Katie, Jennifer (and friend), Jodie and Belinda.


Unfortunately about now my camera battery died so no more photos - such a shame, but when I do get hold of copies from other peoples cameras I will do another entry as there were some great outfits.


























No comments:

Post a Comment